Coda File System

Building a coda "appliance"

From: Yan Seiner <yan_at_seiner.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:36:35 -0700
I'm trying to build a pair of coda "appliances" - basically embedded
boxes with a VPN and coda server/client, each acting as a samba server
to its network.  The goal is to have two identical replicas of the same
data.

One side would be the server, the other would be the client.  Otherwise
the boxes would be identical.

I've got coda built and installed, and now I'm trying to map out my
approach.

The hardware consists of a 200 MHz ARM CPU with 32 MB of RAM.  The data
consists of approximately 300 GB of CAD files.

Is this enough RAM?  Can the RVM metadata be kept in a swap partition or
do I need physical RAM for it?

Also, how should I structure this so that all the data is available to
both sides, even in the event of a VPN failure?  (These boxes would be
pretty much on opposite sides of the globe, so I can't really be sure
the VPN will be available 100%.)  This means that the client would have
to actively hoard all the data?  Is that practical?  Or should I use a
different approach?

I would welcome any pointers or help.

Thanks,

--Yan