Coda File System

Re: unanswered messages

From: Alastair Johnson <alastair_at_solutiontrax.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 18:37:42 +0100
On Friday 01 June 2007 18:05, PROYECTO SOLIDARIO (Eric Van Buggenhaut) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently posted 2 messages on this list related to problems I'm having
> with coda servers.
>
> None of them was answered. I wonder if my mails didn't make it to the
> recipients of the list ?

If they were the ones about files on one client not appearing on the other,
and about replicating the root volume on a server that wasn't present when
the root volume was created, I got them. I suppose the rest of the list did
too.

> Or if the questions were so stupid they don't
> deserve a reply ? Or if the problems mentioned are too complex and no
> one is able to answer them ?

I didn't reply because I've not used coda for some time now. Memory's hazy and
others know better. I still lurk though...

Having said that I think I added answers to questions like these to the wiki
when I was using it. The first one may be relatively simple, but the second
is IIRC rather hard. I hope someone will step in if I'm just plain wrong :-)

Check whether your clients are strongy connected, weakly connected or even
disconnected. I used to find the client would often decide the connection to
the server wasn't good, and not send its changes to the server or check the
server for updates. Using cfs to force a strong connection usually seemed to
sort this out, if only temporarily.

Getting a new server to replicate an existing volume was an unsupported
process IIRC, but there was a description of a hacky way to do it. I first
tried a single server, then tried adding a new server and replicating the
root volume on it, and I failed. It was much easier to blow it away and start
again since I had nothing important on it. I don't know if it's become easier
since then.

Good luck!