Coda File System

Re: RFC: package checking via pkg-config

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:44:23 -0400
There's another longstanding build system mess that I'd like to point
out again.   There is a coda.h that defines the interface to the
kernel.  When the kernel is implemented by a module, that file should be
part of the module sources, and installed someplace in the system along
with the module, so that programs not in the coda source tree can use
the interface definition.

When the kernel is implemented by code in the kernel sources, then the
operating system itself should provide coda.h in a standard place, and
the venus/vice sources should use that .h.  Right now we have separate
maintenance of the .h and the implementation and don't build them
against each other, which is just madness, because we give up all the
type checking that would be available.