Coda File System

Re: RFC: package checking via pkg-config

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:26:00 -0400
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:42:07PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> I'd volounteer to change coda's configure scripts to use pkg-config
> for finding external packages (ie. openssl), if my patch would
> go into the upstream soon.

I think pkg-config is a good thing, however the example you give is
probably the one dependency that is essentially unnecessary. The only
reason for the openssl dependency is for md5 and sha1, but we've had
generic implementations of both of these algorithms for a long time and
those are already used when openssl is not found by configure.

A more significant change that I have had on my todo list for a long
time is to move the Coda build to automake. Part of that would also
include avoiding the 'copy headers to coda-obj/include directory' step.
I've been bitten by stale headers in the build tree too often. It also
makes it hard when working on the code, I've fairly often edited the
copy of the header, ran a succesful testbuild, checked in the changes
and only found out about the missing header update when someone else
checked out a tree that couldn't build from CVS.