Coda File System

Re: lookup of .. at mount points?

From: Jan Harkes <>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 00:38:05 -0400
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 07:24:52PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> Can you turn up venus debugging to 100 (vutil -d 100), run the failing
> command and then vutil -stats which dumps the state of your cache into
> the venus.log. I may be able to figure out from there why it isn't
> working.

Nevermind, I think I found the problem. The realm mountlinks weren't
completely initialized and are missing the parent identifier. When a new
realm is resolved we kill the directory that is visible at /coda so that
the next time we access it it will be recreated and the links are

However right after a new realm is resolved and maybe shortly after
starting venus parent linkage is still missing.

> And yes, a problem for me is that the Linux kernel module doesn't need
> venus to resolve '..' so I don't really get to see this problem

I used gdb to rename a lookup for 'x' in /coda/ to '..'
and figured it out from there. I had to change more than I wanted, so I
have to check if a less intrusive fix is possible before I push it out.

Received on 2007-05-12 00:40:17