Coda File System

Re: simple readahead ?

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:11:19 -0400
Enrico Weigelt <weigelt_at_metux.de> writes:

>> The RPC2 protocol does not stream particularly well on slow links,
>> but that's a separate issue.
>
> In fact, it's very bad. In my case it's 10x as slow as scp.
>
> Any idea how to get around it ?

Yes.  Reimplement RPC2 to run under SCTP instead of UDP, thereby using
TCP-friendly congestion control.  But that's likely to be quite
difficult, and SCTP is apparently not widely supported yet.

Seriously, the only suggestions I have are to crank up your venus cache
size so that objects don't need to be discarded, and to consider using
hoard, or else a walk of the tree to fault in files at times you don't
need the net.  I used to pay attention to the latter when I was on
dialup, but now have a fiber to my basement and 15 Mb/s with 7 ms RTT to
my coda server, so I've stopped worrying.