Coda File System

Re: Strange timeouts / no such device

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:53:12 +0900
Greg Troxel writes:

 > I think what Enrico was suggesting was that after beginrepair exploded
 > the file into file/local and file/server1, that if one did 'rm
 > file/local' that would be discardlocal, and then endrepair would
 > realize the conflict would be gone.

I see no way to distinguish "rm --please-make-the-conflict-go-away"
from "rm --please-make-the-file-go-away".  Remove all versions?

I think a better UI would be to merge the two files (a la merge(1))
into file/result or something like that.  I'm not sure how that would
deal with the problem above, though.

 > Then you could easily write scripts and use unix tools.  Or maybe
 > he didn't mean that and it's what I think would be cool.

Do Unix tools grok the semantics of Schroedinger's cat?  I suspect
that's what we need.  It would be very nice to be wrong about that. ;-)