Coda File System

A couple of read/write questions

From: Davor Ocelic <docelic_at_mail.inet.hr>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:24:36 +0100
Hi folks,

Two questions.

1) I set up a coda Client (CVS) and cfs lv /coda/realm/ . It finds the LAN server
and reports WriteDisconnected state.

I cd into the realm, clog as admin and mkdir test. The process hangs forever,
and cfs lv reports that there is one CML entry (about 200 bytes) waiting for
re-integration, and nothing more happens.

I then vutil --shutdown, and the message indicates that venus crashed.
I had to run venus --init to get it back on.

Then, I try creating the directory again, and (although with a 30 seconds delay),
it is created. I try copying two files to it, and the task finishes quickly. One does
get copied, while for the other it prints 'Connection timed out'.

Immediately after I try the copy again, both files work, and all subsequent
operations (creating, reading, deleting a thousand files) had no more problems.

What debugging options could I enable to exactly find out what happened
in the beginning?

2) After using 'vi' to edit a file yesterday, I see two Vim swap files somehow
got created (.file1.swp and .file1.swo). When I do 'ls' and 'rm' on them:

# ls -al | less
?--------- ? ? ? ? ?  .file1.swo
?--------- ? ? ? ? ?  .file1.swp
...... (and the rest of OK files)...

# ls .file1*sw*
ls: .file1.swp: No such file or directory
-rw------- 1 root nogroup 0 Mar 21 15:10 .file1.swo

# rm .file1*sw*
rm: cannot remove .file1.swo: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove .file1.swp: No such file or directory

What is the possible cause of this, and what can I do to remove those
files now? (cfs lv does not report any CML entries waiting for integration,
if that matters)

-doc