Coda File System

Re: reliability,performance ?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:21:16 -0400
On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 01:06:50AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> operations. We also take a hit on the network transfers, last time I
> measured I saw writes in the order of 3MB/s to a single replica, 6MB/s
> to a doubly replicated volume, and 7.5 or so to a triply replicated
> volume. Not 100% sure anymore and this was a couple of years ago on a
> 100Base-T network before we added things like encryption.

btw. I am not terribly concerned about not being able to saturate a
gigabit network. In my mental model the local cache is large enough to
cache everything I care about, the period prefetching (hoarding) will
pull in anything that may have changed on the servers and the
write-disconnected operation will send any local changes back to the
servers in the background.