Coda File System

Re: /coda has realm as symlink

From: Jerry Amundson <jerry_at_pbs.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 01:10:31 -0500
On Mon October 17 2005 11:40, Ivan Popov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 11:55:54PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> > RFE : Syntax check at creation that volume names start with "/" (if
> > indeed, it is required...).
>
> no, that is not enforced in any way, as Jan wrote,
>
> though I always strongly suggest keeping volume's names and mountpoints
> in sync - i.e. the same when possible.

After putting a few more hours into this, my brain is getting fuzzy... I can
create more than one volume per storage area (/vicepa, ...).

> The special case of the root volume of a realm can be seen then
> as either an empty name or a "/" name. I prefer the second,
> thus for consistency beginning all volume names with "/".

Ah the "special case" is what got me. When I started from scratch, I was right
back /coda with the symlink (wow the frustration!). Once I createvol_rep'd
the "/" volume, Voila! I ls -lR /coda and see normal dirs, mkdir, etc. Now
I've tried to purge so getvolumelist doesn't match VRList so I'm going to
reinstall yet again. (I'll look into better vol management later... will be
in production someday :-)

jerry