Coda File System

Re: Coda replication of root volume?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:04:28 +0200
On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:01:21AM +0200, Christian Nygaard wrote:
> Hi I've created the first coda server with a 60GB physical /vicepa partition
>
> Its mounted as /coda/server1.example.com/

Christian,

excuse me for being picky -
I would avoid calling it "mounted" as for a casual reader it is misleading.
Mountpoints on Coda do not behave like traditional Unix mounts.
Moreover, the root volume is always resolved implicitely, there
is not even a manual mountpoint creation needed or possible.

We lack a term for "making a realm available to clients", but the thing is
that we do not need it at all! Normally, a realm just is available as soon
as it is created.

That is an important advantage of Coda compared to most other filesystems.

It allows 1. avoiding client administration and 2. using Coda across
administrative borders.

So, I'd say your realm    is available   (at least to your clients) as
 /coda/server1.example.com

> I want to replicate volumes to a second server for data redundancy.
>
> I have some questions:
> Is it smart to replicate the server Coda root partition or do you want to

Yes, you want to replicate the root volume as well.

> replicate "sub" volumes?
> Can several sub volumes share the same disk partition for e.g. /dev/hda4 and

Sure, you most often have one partition on a server, and lots of volumes.

Regards,
--
Ivan