Coda File System

Re: Corrupt RVM recovery

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:52:56 -0400
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:13:55AM -0500, mdbridge_at_verizon.net wrote:
> When I attempt to load coda srv or norton on a coda server I get the errors:
>
> About to call RVM_INIT
> log_recover failed.
> do_rvm_options failed
> rvm_init failed RVM_EIO
>
> How do I recover from a corrupted RVM?

Could be clock skew.

    $ rvmutl
    > o /path/to/rvm/log
    > status

If the time of the last commit is in the future then that is causing the
problem. If this says that the log is empty you can safely reinitialize
it. Otherwise you'd have to bump your system time to beyond the time of
the last commit, use rvmutl to recover/replay the logged operations, set
the clock back to current time and reintialize the log.

Reinitialization is something like the following,

    $ rvmutl