Coda File System

Re: missing the root volume... I think

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:27:55 -0400
On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 05:50:34PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 12:03:18AM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> > I haven't looked at the code, but a long time ago a similar effect
> > would happen when you did not have a period in the realm name.
>
> That seems to be exactly what it was.  I faked up a fully qualified
> domain name in my /etc/hosts for rover and I could then access the

We require a period on the realm names, for one it forces people to use
globally unique names. But a second advantage is that it avoids hitting
the DNS servers when some application is looking for 'system' files or
directories in the root of every mounted partition (search/index files,
'recycle bins', etc).

However the lookup in /etc/coda/realms happens before that point, so I
didn't think it was affected by the extra paranoid checks. On the other
hand, only specifying a realm name without hosts is like a negative
lookup rule and is used to indicate that some realm definitely does not
exist.

> root volume... now I keep getting a read-only volume even after I have
> done a clog and ctokens shows I have a token.  Tried setting the acl's
> so my uid has the same rights as admin (not that I should have needed
> to since my login is the admin user)

Right you shouldn't have to do that. The problem could be in the kernel
or in venus, something must have cached the permission mask based on an
earlier unauthenticated lookup.

If it is the kernel, a 'cfs er /coda/realm/' might do it, this sends
purgefid call that tells the kernel to discard any cached attributes for
the object. If that doesn't work, a 'cfs fl /coda/realm/' might do it,
this quite agressive as it tries to flush every object under that path
from the venus cache.