Coda File System

Re: readonly replicated root volume

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 02:32:29 +0200
Alastair,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:13:48PM +0100, Alastair Johnson wrote:
> Based on a combination of the manual at
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual-10.html#ss10.6 and the wiki

unfortunately, the information present in that document is greatly obsoleted,
it reflects the situation before realms support in Coda.

I don't think there is any reason to use readonly replication now.

----------------------------------
 ... availability of volumes which cannot be read-write replicated.
The most important example of such a volume is the root of the Coda file system
----------------------------------

Nowadays there is no "root of the Coda file system", it is imitated
separately on each client.

The root volume of a _realm_ can be safely replicated, though of course
you should avoid [conflicting] updates on that volume.
In the unlikely (given a reasonable administration) event of such a conflict
you can repair the volume as well as any other one, I think.
In fact, you could replace and repair the root volume even before realms,
with additional manual work.

I can not tell whether your procedure is right, but I think
the whole idea behind readonly replication is an artifact of AFS2
and not adequate for Coda.

My 2c
--
Ivan