Coda File System

Re: Plan to revise documentation

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:11:25 -0400
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 01:01:06PM -0600, Patrick Walsh wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 14:46 -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
>
> >     volume names:	  32 characters
> >     file names:		256 characters
> >     path names:		1024 characters
>
> 	Those are great and if I get a moment, I'll put them in the wiki (if
> someone else doesn't beat me to it), but I'm also interested in other
> limitations that could cause problems, like:
>
> * don't rename a file across volumes and expect it to replicate (or am I
> wrong about this?)

Cross-volume rename returns EXDEV, and the 'mv' program then falls back
and uses copy/unlink just like it would when you try to rename a file
between different filesystems.

> * don't access a file that's bigger than your client cache size

I guess.

> * don't access a file when you have less than 2x the file size free
> space available on the client

Only if you intend to write to the file while disconnected, since we
need to keep a copy around that we can send back to the server while
still allowing the user write access to the file.