Coda File System

Re: old documentation

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:08:07 +0100
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 05:10:14PM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up CODA today, and the documentation is very confusing in
> some points.
>
> the vice-setup never showed me those options
>   Enter the name of the rootvolume (< 32 chars) :
>   Enter the name of your root volume (e.g. coda.root)

Hopefully the script automatically chooses the name "/" for the root volume
(as it always should - the choice of the name has no meaning in itself, so
it can be as well chosen once for all and reserved)
The "/" name for root volume corresponds nicely
to the suggested mountpoint naming:
cfs /coda/something/dir/dir    without additional arguments
creates a mountpoint for a volume called "/dir/dir"

So, if your realm is called "your.realm", then
 the rootvolume "/"         mounts on /coda/your.realm/
a volume called "/home"     mounts on /coda/your.realm/home
a volume called "/home/xyz" mounts on /coda/your.realm/home/xyz
and so on - if you follow this policy, you will find it a lot
easier to keep an eye on your volumes - when you get hundreds of them...

> then, the documentation tells me to do
>   #createvol_rep your-root-volume E0000100 /vicepa

Obsoleted, instead of the cryptic "volume storage group name E0000100",
(a name which comes from IPv4 multicast addresses) you just list
on the command line the servers which shall contain the new volume replicas.

> but i have no idea what's my root volume suposed to be

See above.

> I'd apreciate any hints, mainly a more straith forward and up to date how-to

Unfortunately I never used the debian packages to setup a server,
nor a client - I see Coda as a cross-platform phenomenon, so I am resorting
to "platform-independent" packaging.

Regards,
--
Ivan