Coda File System

Repair problems

From: Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig_at_zt-consulting.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:00:55 +0100 (CET)
Hi!

Since I'm using Kerberos, but usually logging in using my ssh-key, I
repeatedly get in trouble, probably because of expired tokens. This
usually results in

timeout in locking authority file /coda/TIKI/tautschn/.Xauthority

This wouldn't be a problem, if I could then access all the files when I do
have tokens - which isn't the case (most of the time) - I have to delete
my .Xauthority file.

Well, all of that is not yet that bad. But sometimes it happens, that
deleting the file results in confilcts that can't be resolved without
restarting venus (but without doing "-init" !!!). Still - I would like to
be able to repair these conflicts - but don't know how. doing
repair->beginrepair->.Xauthority just tells me, that the object is not in
conflict; doing "ls" results in

ls: .: Permission denied

and "cfs lv ." tells me about 4 objects begin in conflict;

venus.log contains the following entries:

[ W(2830) : 0000 : 23:47:33 ] fsdb::Get: trying to access localized object 5539d148.7f000002.1.1
(many times)

and

[ L(19) : 0000 : 23:51:34 ] LocalInconsistentObj: objFid=5539d148.7f000002.1.1

venus.err says:

23:38:51 volume tautschn has unrepaired local subtree(s), skip checkpointing CML!

23:41:17 Local inconsistent object at /coda/TIKI/tautschn, please check!

These problems are somewhat annoying, since I don't really know, what
venus is telling me - and how to solve the problem without a need to
restart venus all the time...

Despite these problems, coda is doing really fine here, but repairing
conflicts without restarting would be really really important for
production use!

Thanks in advance,
Michael