Coda File System

Re: rvm size...

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:38:23 -0500
On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 04:04:59PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:

> > IP> Where did you get these numbers from?
> > vice-setup
>
> Oh, I haven't looked at the official scripts for a while, using
> the homegrown ones instead. Did not know it tells as much.
>
> You can check the approximate rvm usage for your files with rvmsizer.
>
> Of course, you can not have more than 1GB rvm yet. So if the numbers above
> were right, you could never put more than 30 MB freebsd sources on
> a Coda server.
> It seems odd (corresponds to about 30 bytes average file length?).
> I suppose there is an error somewhere in the calculations.

No those numbers are right although it might have been a checked out
FreeBSD ports tree. I just looked at a couple of the volumes we have on
our servers and extrapolated the RVM usage.

The checked-out freebsd ports collection contains many directories each
with only a few small CVS and Makefiles. So the RVM overhead is pretty
significant.