Coda File System

Re: blocking on open()

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:18:59 +0900

    >> I still like the idea a lot, I'm just trying to be prepared and
    >> know all the problems that might show up before actually trying
    >> to implement something like this.

    Troy> I think a lot of the issues that got brought up will be
    Troy> handled by David Howell's cachefs. [...]
    Troy> Then we can keep Coda focused on the disconnected operation
    Troy> problem instead of getting lost in cache ;)

Say what?  In terms of the file contents, disconnected operation is
just a set of additional restrictions on cache semantics, no?  I would
be surprised if a general facility like cachefs will satisfy them out
of the box.  It's possible, but requires proof.  There's a pretty good
chance that proof itself will be on the order of difficulty of
generalizing venus.