Coda File System

a step backwards

From: Bigby Findrake <bigby_at_ephemeron.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:53:17 -0700 (PDT)
I hope I'm not asking a question that's been answered before.  I've
searched the archives, but wasn't able to find anything relevant.

We have been evaluating coda, and we like the resiliancy that it provides.
We would like to use coda on all machines that currently use
network-exported filesystems in our enterprise.  We would like to do this
with a minimum of alterations on the client side - i.e. using existing
filesharing mechanisms (namely SMB/CIFS and NFS).

It seems to us that coda would work for this but for the security and
authentication mechanisms built in.

Has anyone stripped down coda to make it work without client
authentication?

"I dread success.  To have succeeded is to have finished one's business
on earth, like the male spider, who is killed by the female the moment
he has succeeded in his courtship.  I like a state of continual
becoming, with a goal in front and not behind."
                -- George Bernard Shaw

                    finger://bigby@ephemeron.org
                    http://www.ephemeron.org/~bigby/