Coda File System

Re: Partial success with Mac OS X coda client

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:50:29 +0900

    Jan> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:05:04PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
    Jan> wrote:

    >> +LIBS := $(LIBRPC2) $(LIBLWP) $(LIBCRYPTO) $(LIBS) -lresolv

    Jan> I'd rather find a better way to add this dependency.

<harmony part_count="4">Amen!</harmony>
I plan to work on autoconf'ing it, but I probably won't have time for
about 3 weeks due to international travel.

    >> #define _IOC_NRBITS 8

    Jan> Are these found in any other header?

Not that I could find by grepping /usr/include and /usr/include/sys.
Again, in a couple weeks I'll have time to investigate fully.

    Jan> I guess this is to cover all the places in coda-src/venus
    Jan> where we rely on #ifdef __BSD44__. Don't like that all that
    Jan> much in the first place.  I guess we could either try to
    Jan> replace those with proper autoconf tests, or have configure
    Jan> add -D__BSD44__ whenever we're building on a Darwin platform.

Problem is, I'm not sure a generic -D__BSD44__ is the right thing,
since the Darwin kernel is not BSD.

    Jan> Why is the automake cache a problem?

Auto* is essentially a regression test for configuration.  If
something changes, you need to run the tests again, all of them,
because auto* provides no dependency information for the cache.  In
practice, bootstrap.sh failed occasionally for me on Linux, often on
the Mac.  Always silently, too.  Since getting rid of autom4te.cache,
no problems.

There's also an issue of standards conformance.  I don't know what the
Coda standard is, but in the GNU Makefile standard, the distclean
target should remove all files generated by process of building the
distribution.

## make distclean
##      Delete all files from the current directory that are created by
##      configuring or building the program.  If you have unpacked the
##      source and built the program without creating any other files,
##      `make distclean' should leave only the files that were in the
##      distribution.