Coda File System

Re: 64-bit issues

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:18:21 -0400
On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:19:08PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Just to make my long-ranted point again: the kernel header for coda.h
> is the definition of the kernel interface, and this should be
> maintained with (and compiled with) the kernel code, and installed
> under /usr/include someplace _by the kernel_.  Coda userland should

But on Linux it is, however it is not related to the current kernel but
depends on whatever kernel version libc was built against. I guess it is
done so differently because there is no equivalent to 'make world'.

>   But there are probably more subtle differences involving dev_t,
>   ino_t, off_t and size_t.  These can easily be different between what
>   we see in the kernel and what libc provides in userspace.
>
> huh?  dev_t etc. are defined by the kernel sources, and this include
> file should be installed in /usr/include/sys someplace (sys/types.h on
> BSD), and libc compiled against this.  Having libc use different types

Not really, there are /usr/include/linux (common Linux kernel headers)
and /usr/include/asm (platform specific kernel headers). But there
definitely are differences between the types defined in those and the
ones defined in bits/typesizes.h (used by sys/types.h).