Coda File System

Re: bandwidth measure and disconnections

From: Juan Carlos Schroeder <jcsc_at_adinet.com.uy>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:56:49 -0300
Ok, thanks Jan. I think I've understood the why "write-back cache" exists.
Is this that you're saying written in any document? Does exist something
like a FAQ of Coda?

a) The doubt I still have is about bandwidth measurement. I'm having some
problems with this. Is this working ok?

b) Also, I would like to know how Coda would work with a lower "limit"
("threshold") where to decide to be "fully-connected" or
"write-disconnected". In the "Coda File System User and System
Administrators Manual", section 8.4.2, appears the following paragraph:
Weak network connectivity. Venus uses bandwidth estimates made by the RPC2
communication layer to decide on the quality of the network connection with
the servers. As soon as the connectivity to one of the servers drops to
below the weakly connected treshhold (currently 50 KB/s), it will force all
volumes associated with that server into weakly-connected mode. The cfs wr
can be used to force the volumes back into fully connected mode, and
immediately reintegrate all changes

How would the client work with a this limit (currently 50KB/s) with a limit
of about 10KB/s? (this mean kilobytes I think)

Thanks,
Juan Carlos