Coda File System

Re: MacOS X Server 10.4 - Mobile Home Directories

From: Derek Glidden <dglidden_at_illusionary.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:15:53 -0400
On Jun 30, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Christopher Woodfield wrote:

> Among other things, 10.4 Server will feature a "Mobile Home
> Directories" system that sounds a LOT like coda:

> [snip]

> Anyone have any inside info on this? Is Apple using code borrowed from
> Coda or AFS, or is this a new capability of AFP/Appletalk?

Apple has opened up/expanded their "Sync API" which is what they use
for .Mac and iSync and such.  There are probably some "similar"
technologies to what Coda does when reconciling on a reattach of a
disconnected client, but I don't think other than function, that they
are all that similar.  A closer comparison could probably be made to
rsync than to something like Coda since this is functioning at the
user/daemon level rather than the VFS level.  Admittedly I haven't
looked at the recently-released developer docs for their Sync API yet,
so I may be ass-talking to some extent.

"We all enter this world in the    | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked |        http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your     |  http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing     |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould