Coda File System

Doubts on replication strategy in CODA

From: Sundaram, Arunkumar <arunkumar_sundaram_at_adaptec.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:58:21 +0530
Hi Everyone,

First of all a big kudos to CODA community, it's a wonderful job you guys are doing.

In one of the documents I read that CODA uses read-one, write-all approach for server replication. I am a little bit concerned here.

Let's assume that there are three replicated servers A, B and C.
And let's assume that client Ac is connected to A, client Bc is connected to B and client Cc is connected to C.

In this scenario let's say there is a file named "CommonFile" under root directory of CODA share. Consider a sequence of following operations on this file

Ac opens "CommonFile" for write
Bc opens "CommonFile" for write
In this situation there is a chance for

Basically I would like to know whether there is any locking done when accessing a single file, if yes who is responsible for it.
Or is it a limitation that files cannot be used simultaneously at two clients connected to two different duplicated servers.

Please feel free to clarify anything in this question with me; I may have not stated things clearly. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Arun