Coda File System

RVM metadata & VM

From: <shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:18:57 -0400
Suppose I wish to set up a large coda volume -- say, 2Tb. With the
4% rule, this means an 80Gb partition for the RVM metadata. The
"Coda File System User and System Administration Manual" says

    Virtual memory. The metadata, held in the RVM data file, is memory mapped.
    You need that amount of space as virtual memory on your system, in
    addition to virtual memory to run the server (~6MB) and other software.

Does this mean that I need an *additional* 80Gb of swap space? That seems
*bizarre.* (Considering that the target machine has probably 1-2Gb of RAM.)
    -Olin