Coda File System

Re: maximum cache size in venus

From: Steve Simitzis <steve_at_saturn5.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:17:39 -0700
On 05/10/04, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I don't know. My cache is typically in the order of 200-250MB.

well, i'll continue my experiments then, to see how high i can raise
the cache without problems. i finally hit a crash at 1.9GB, unfortunately,
so my theory about a 2GB upper bound is now dead in the water. :)

another consideration is, how high should a cache be for a given
quantity of data? should i reasonably expect that i should be able to
cache the entire filesystem, so venus can maintain somewhat of a local
disk copy of everything, or should i think of it more as a true cache
of the data?

i currently have 19GB of data, so a 250MB cache probably isn't too
shabby. though, a larger cache has saved me in situations when
codasrv dies or becomes unreachable.

tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

> 266 is precisely 256 + 10, which would match a wraparound on the link
> count field. But... we don't have cross-directory hardlinks, and I find
> it hard to believe that you would have so many links to one object in a
> single directory.

i also find it hard to believe. our entire dataset is content uploaded
via web forms, with little or no direct human interaction. there are
no extra links, hard or soft.

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/
          pala : saturn5 productions