Coda File System

Re: Linux 2.6.x still suffering from NFS "stale" check in namei.c

From: Ivan <ega_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:25:34 +0200
On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:59:51AM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > in fs/namei.c and that removing that code eliminates some obscure problems
> > with Coda.
>
> That is very strange, because in 2.6 the ESTALE return only happens for
> filesystems that have the FS_REVAL_DOT flag set (i.e. only NFS).

> I don't see how we can ever trip that code, because we don't set the
> related flag.

- if (nd->dentry && nd->dentry->d_sb &&
-                   (nd->dentry->d_sb->s_type->fs_flags & FS_REVAL_DOT)) {

Hmm. You are right. Something is wrong. Possibly my interpretation :)

I am trying hard but can not reproduce the problem with unpatched kernel either.

Anyway, the symptoms were the same as before with 2.4.x and ESTALE.
I would bet that I'd see exactly that if somehow the kernel has got
the FS_REVAL_DOT for Coda. The system was sane otherwise.
The only thing I did not check was that it was really ESTALE.
Watch better next time Ivan.
(and no, I was not dreaming, I've got cut-n-paste logs... :)

I have not changed anything remarkable in the setup since the test,
except of course the reboots after kernel changes.

Sorry for pointing in a wrong direction, I'll keep you posted if I see
the problem again.

Best regards,
--
Ivan