Coda File System

Re: backup breakage

From: Steve Simitzis <steve_at_saturn5.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:18:40 -0800
On 03/14/04, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:37:00AM -0800, Steve Simitzis wrote:
> > when running backups, codasrv dies with this:
> >
> > Assertion failed: SRV_RVM(VolumeList[rwIndex]).data.nlargeLists == SRV_RVM(VolumeList[backupIndex]).data.nlargeLists, file "/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/coda-6.0.3/coda-src/volutil/vol-backup.cc", line 449
>
> This looks a lot like is an older bug which was fixed in 6.0.3.

i remember hitting this one before - it looked familiar. fwiw, both my
coda server and backup server are running 6.0.3.

> Did these messages get logged around the same time as backups were
> active?

yes.

> This wouldn't happen all too often, a server restart should fix it. I'll
> have a look to see how I can avoid the race, either temporarily blocking
> the growth of the original volume, or by restarting the clone when the
> numbers don't match up.

the problem i had was that restarting the server took about an hour,
which the server spent destroying a damaged backup volume during the
initial salvage run. :/

--

steve simitzis : /sim' - i - jees/
          pala : saturn5 productions