Coda File System

Re: Replicated volume upgrades

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:50:04 -0500
On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:58:47AM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> > Do I need to take the above steps, create a new volume, copy the data
> > from the existing volume into the new "truly replicated" volume, drop
>
> An intermediate volume is not really necessary, you can copy the data to
> any storage area, to a local disk or somewhere else (make a tar archive
> and in some way remember the acls for all directories...)

Actually, you can also create a new replicated volume, copy over all the
data, change the name of the rootvolume in /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME and
reinitialize the clients (so that they forget about the old rootvolume).

There is another alternative, which is a bit more 'experimental'.

> > the old volume, create another new replicated volume with the name of
> > the original, and finally copy the data from my "new" volume back to my
> > "original" volume? or can I rename the "new" volume to the "original"'s
> > name after dropping the original?
>
> Iirc Jan said once that there is a volume rename operation but that it is
> implemented "halfhearted" so that it is broken (never having been used).
> It renames replicas to the same name, which is wrong...
>
> So the best bet is to save-drop-create-fill ...

As Ivan says, best best is to save all your existing data. In case
things go wrong you can then restore it.

I'll detail the experimental way in another message when I have a bit of
time. But it is worth a wait, because it might just be what you're
looking for.