Coda File System

Re: newbie questions re: coda media server

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:26:03 +0100 (MET)
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Mark Phalan wrote:

> > > What will coda do when I go to access a huge file too big to cache?
> >
> > Open will fail with "no space on device", iirc.
>
> Are there any plans to fetch and cache blocks if the file is too big to
> fit in the cache?

Hello Mark,

no, there is no intention to change one of the main design decisions,
whole file caching. More or less, it is whole file caching that
makes Coda semantics possible.
There are other filesystems which do not target disconnected operation and
read-write replication. They can do without caching or with partial
caching.

In contrast, it would be possible for Coda - with some effort - to make
open() return before the whole file is fetched. No certain plans though,
to the best of my knowledge.

Regards,
--
Ivan