Coda File System

Re: newbie questions re: coda media server

From: Adam Manock <abmanock_at_comcast.net>
Date: 26 Jan 2004 12:25:31 -0500
> To normally speed up discarding the realm, you could use 'cfs fl
> /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu'. With the bad refcounting, this
> doesn't work right in 6.0.3 either.

I commented stuff out in /etc/coda/realms and restarted coda-client.
That seemed to get rid of the testserver dir entry in /coda/  :-)

# Our little Coda realm at CMU
# coda.cs.cmu.edu verdi.coda.cs.cmu.edu mozart.coda.cs.cmu.edu
marais.coda.cs.cmu.edu
# WWU realm
# coda.cs.wwu.edu southfork.ldc.cs.wwu.edu mainfork.ldc.cs.wwu.edu
nooksack.ldc.cs.wwu.edu

> > I'm also wondering what the best options would be for running a coda
> > media server. It would be serving mostly big files. 100Mb quicktime
> > movies, 3-6Mb MP3s etc.
>
> One gotcha is the whole file caching, so for read-only operation you
> need to have at least as much as your largest file as a Venus cache. If
> you also want to write, probably double the size. And then add a bunch
> for 'overhead', such as the directories in the path leading to the file
> etc. So I would say, about 300Mb cache. But on the other hand as the
> average file is pretty big, you really don't need all that many objects
> cached locally, so you can keep the size of venus pretty mean and lean
> by separately configuring the number of cachable objects.
>
> i.e.
> venus.conf
>     cacheblocks=300000
>     cachefiles=2500		# with a 300MB cache this is normally 12500

Ok. That seems cool, right now I'm at 100000 and default cachefiles.
Will coda work (read only) on files that are bigger than the local
cache? e.g. If I had a 1.6Gb divx movie file, and my xbox filesystem
looks like this....

xbox:/etc/coda# df -h
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
                      1.6G  1.1G  616M  63% /
coda                   98M     0   91M   0% /coda

What will coda do when I go to access a huge file too big to cache?

Adam

--
Adam Manock <abmanock_at_comcast.net>