Coda File System

Re: Released Coda 6.0.3 (and RPC2 1.20)

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 09:18:47 -0500
  > > === soon to be merged in CVS, this is NOT in 6.0.3! ===
  >
  > >     Coda servers use a vnode lookup table that is causing some 'growing
  > >     pains' for larger servers. The re-allocation of such a table would
  > >     fail when we reached around 100k files per volume. These tables will
  > >     be replaced by a hash table which with moderate success allowed us
  > >     to store about a million files in a single volume. This does require
  > >     some incompatible RVM changes to the vnode structure.
  > >
  > >     As we're going to be breaking the vnode structure anyways, we will
  > >     take the opportunity to move the per file SHA1 checksum into RVM.
  > >     This should significantly reduce server CPU usage when checksums
  > >     are enabled.

I note that there is no NEWS file in cvs for coda, and the Changelog
doesn't mention this yet.  Has CVS coda been changed in an
incompatible way.

Sorry if I am being repetitive, but it is really important that every
incompatible rvm change (venus or codasrv), no matter how minor, be
announced on the mailing list.  I would argue further that a
rvm-prechange-yyyymmdd tag should also be laid down before doing this.

Perhaps this is happening, but I don't feel confident that I'm not
going to lose by using CVS.
(And since I'm losing with 'local inconsistent objects' today, I am
inclined to upgrade.)

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>