Coda File System

Re: Coda Server Processes question...

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:53:32 -0500
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:03:57PM +0100, Pedro P?rez S?nchez wrote:
> Ivan Popov explain to us in a previous mail that we need 3 processes of
> the codaserver working in the same machine.

Setting up 3 servers on a single machine isn't quite as simple because
each server needs to be bound to an individual IP-address. So you would
have to assign multiple aliases to your network interface and such.

> #hostname_1="scm"

This is how a 'server' is bound to one of the ip-addresses. So you would
need something like the following in /etc/hosts (or DNS)

    192.168.10.1 scm
    192.168.10.2 scm2
    192.168.10.3 scm3

And bind the additional aliases for you network interface as follows,

    ip addr add 192.168.10.2/32 dev eth0
    ip addr add 192.168.10.3/32 dev eth0

And in the server.conf have,

    hostname_1="scm"
    hostname_2="scm2"
    hostname_3="scm3"

As the hostnames resolve to different ip-aliases, all servers will bind
to listen only for packets destined for that address. You have to start
each server as with an additional -n X flag.

    startserver -n 2 &
    startserver -n 3 &

I'm not sure whether the first server needs -n 1.