Coda File System

Re: problems with hoarding deep paths

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:08:02 +0900

    Jan> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:12:40PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
    Jan> wrote:

    >> I'm playing with Tom Lord's arch revision control system, which
    >> for idiosyncratic reasons likes to create very deep paths.

OK, I've re-inited Coda, initialized the hoard list to something a
little bit more restricted than my normal one, and elicited the fault
with a hoard walk after setting the debug level to 200.

Even compressed, the logs are over 1MB, so the venus.err and venus.log
are at http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Tools/venus.logs.tgz.

If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know.

    Jan> Looked at that as well, but I have some 'questions' about the
    Jan> usability of the locking scheme when a new changeset is
    Jan> committed. There is some really nasty sequence of
    Jan> cross-directory renames that will not resolve using the
    Jan> current per-directory operation logs on replicated volumes.

OK.  Is this in a workspace, or in the archive?  Are you suggesting
it's dangerous to use arch workspaces in Coda now, or just archives?

My archive is on a local filesystem.  The workspace is in Coda.

    Jan> It looks like the -O2 optimization is actually more
    Jan> effectively allocating variables in registers on gcc-3.2+
    Jan> compilers.

Well, at least I'm suffering for a good reason!