Coda File System

Re: My experiences so far..and few questions.

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_cs.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:33:54 -0500
Hello Paul,

> mailing list for some time, I'd like to share my own thoughts on my
> experiences with coda so far since I spent some time tinkering and
> experimenting its stability.

thanks, it is always good to know about other's experience, the more as
you have accumulated some knowledge before you share it.

> The only problems that I've been getting are the "local inconsistent
> object" errors by venus which tend to occur after I intentionally
> perform heavy disk operations.

Yes, it is a known issue. You may reduce the impact if you upgrade to
rpc-1.20 (if you have not done yet), but even then there are still
situations leading to unnecessary conflicts.

> Btw, just in case the info might come in handy...my RVM is stored as a
> 315mb file (alas...not a raw partition)

It's in fact a good practice. It gives you better system memory usage
compared to disk partitions as soon as you run with private mmap
(in the old days there was no private mapping, and partitions had their
advantages). Anyway, it is so much easier to reconfigure files, that I'd
rather forget about partitions.

Trying to answer some of your questions:

> my /coda. Just recently however, i've constantly been getting numerous
> "23:13:25 strauss.coda.cs.cmu.edu nak'ed" messages. I read from the

No problem with that, except that your client is trying to maintain
contact with the testserver realm, while it should forget about it after a
while. It looks like a bug, but nothing that influences the functionality.

> what this really means and what the implications are. Also..why is it
> happening now? :)

Increased packet loss on your link to CMU?

Have a nice time!
--
Ivan
a happy Coda admin :)