Coda File System

Re: Come-and-go system with data replication

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:08:25 +0900

    josef> I would not consider me as a beginner, however -

    sjt> That's not a good way to think about it.  Coda semantics are
    sjt> not the same as Win2k's cache, they're not the same as NFS or
    sjt> SMB or AFS or Gnutella.  If you think you know what you're
    sjt> doing, you are going to lose big (unless you get very lucky,
    sjt> and don't lose at all).

    sjt> Your posts are full of assumptions about what should be easy,
    sjt> what's obvious, what's desirable, how things are implemented,
    sjt> etc.  You wo

My MUA dropped the last few lines of the post, it looks like.  The
last paragraph should read (hope this one gets through...):

    Your posts are full of assumptions about what should be easy,
    what's obvious, what's desirable, how things are implemented,
    etc.  You would be much closer to solving your problems if you
    would throw all that away, and say "OK, I'm a beginner."  Of
    course what you need has to be central, but maybe you can get what
    you _really_ want from Coda if you don't assume that some things
    that you don't actually need have to come with it.  Making
    assumptions about implementations is bad practice, of course.