Coda File System

Re: practical limitations for file size/number in Coda

From: Wade Stebbings <wade_at_webeclat.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:10:03 -0500
On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 11:34 AM, Jan Harkes wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:38:41PM -0500, Wade Stebbings wrote:
>> I am building a file server, now, and am considering my
>> options.  In reading the various Coda resources, manuals
>> and other web pages, I've seen reference to file size and
>> number of files (directory size) limitations.
>
> Currently we are still limited to something between 4000 and 8000 files
> per directory until we fix the way directories are stored on both the
> clients and the servers. Right now the directory stored in RVM cannot
> exceed 256KB in total size.

Thanks.

I saw the reference in the mail archive to 256KB in a discussion about
Coda scaling.  The discussion was about a year ago, and so I didn't
know (1) how this might have changed since then, and (2) exactly how
the 256KB directory size limitation translated into number of files.

What, may I ask, is the mode of failure when a directory exceeds 256KB?

wade