Coda File System

RPC2 1.20 build troubles on FreeBSD 4.8

From: Wade Stebbings <wade_at_webeclat.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:32:29 -0500
Hi,

I did some searching for info, but couldn't find anything.  I see
these versions are the very latest, so maybe my troubles lie
there.  Caveat: I just joined this list and I am very new to CODA
and its associated parts & dependencies (eg., RPC2).  However,
I am very comfortable with FreeBSD, etc.

I have a FreeBSD 4.8 system on which I would like to experiment
with CODA.  I downloaded:

  coda-6.0.3.tar.gz
  lwp-1.10.tar.gz
  rpc2-1.20.tar.gz
  rvm-1.8.tar.gz

So far, LWP went fine, but RPC2 is giving me troubles.

(1) At first, RPC2 would not build because it could not find
header files called switchc2s.h and switchs2c.h.  So after
reading the Makefile under rpc2-src I decided to try "make
switchc2s.h" and it made the both of them.

(2) I went back up to the main dir and typed "make" again
and it made it further, but then stopped while in the "fail"
directory, stating...

%make
make  all-recursive
Making all in rpc2-src
Making all in rp2gen
Making all in fail
make: don't know how to make fcon.h. Stop
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/wade/coda/rpc2-1.20.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/wade/coda/rpc2-1.20.

I looked at the Makefile, but this time it appeared much
more involved and so I thought I would defer to this list.
And here I am.

I was hoping to find some pointers as to what I might
be doing wrong.  It is not clear to me if there's another
dependency I am missing.  I just installed a fairly bare
bones FreeBSD on this box, plus the kernel sources
since I always like to tweak those.  If there's something
else that needs to be on this box before building RPC2
it certainly isn't clear to me what that is.

Thanks in advance.

wade