Coda File System

Re: coda 6.0.2 compile failure

From: Eric Sandall <eric_at_sandall.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:12:48 -0700
Quoting Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>:
> I looked all of this stuff over and configure detected everything
> correctly and everything is just as it should be. However it looks like
> your linker behaves differently from mine.
>
> It wants to link for the MD5_Init function which is used in HashSecret,
> however HashSecret isn't referenced at all by filerepair. I.e. my linker
> seems to automatically discard unused functions in static libraries and
> as a result not complain about missing functions.
>
> Basically this would mean that with your linker, anything that is
> linking against LIBBASE also needs to link against LIBCRYPTO. But with
> my linker LIBCRYPTO is only necessary whenever we actually use the
> HashSecret function.
>
> I've committed the following patch to CVS that adds the library in
> (hopefully) all places.
>
> Jan

Thanks, I'll test this on my machine at home.  I'm not sure why my linker would
behave badly, it's gcc 3.3.1 compiled from source, so it's gcc's default
behaviour (IIRC).

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint:  FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91  FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61

Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
eric@sandall.us                  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://eric.sandall.us/          |  SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU
http://counter.li.org/  #196285  |  http://www.shock.wsu.edu/