Coda File System

Re: Filesystem replication or expansion

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:42:39 +0900

    Jan> All the numbers you find (i.e. the 25GB server limit) is
    Jan> based on the assumption that files are on average 16KB, and
    Jan> typical file/directory distributions as found in surveys of
    Jan> UNIX systems in the late 80s/early 90s.

For people with existing setups they want to migrate to Coda, or even
pilot setups, maybe a tool that (1) walks the tree and computes the
actual distributions, and (2) then pessimizes them an "appropriate"[1]
amount to give better estimates of the limits/configuration parameters
could be written.

Footnotes:
[1]  This is the word that allows me to punt on writing it myself. ;-)