Coda File System

Re: Users and authentication

From: Steffen Neumann <sneumann_at_TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: 04 Sep 2003 17:14:47 +0200
Ian Smith <ian_at_saltstonemedia.co.uk> writes:
[...]
> At various points (eg. chapter 9 of the admin guide) I see names like
> u.hbovik (which somehow gets mapped to /coda/usr/hbovik - is this
> relation hardcoded into coda somehow?).  If this is the case can I only
No, the mapping is done via

	cfs mkmount vol.ume.name /coda/mount/point

where both vol.ume.name and /coda/mount/point are arbitrary.

So to organise your layout, do a

	mkdir /coda/homes/
	mkdir /coda/projects/

Whereas for other filesystems you would

	mount /dev/hda17 /coda/homes/

(Mount to an existing directory) in Coda you do

	cfs mkm c.u.s /coda/homes/sneumann

(you see, volume names are arbitrary) make the volume
available as a new directory.

> Also, I understood that the root volume was mounted automatically, so
> why would I want to do it manually?  How can I verify whether the root
It was probably me who told you that,
but it's been two years since I installed a server...
So forget mounting root.

> The other area is authentication - during vice-setup, I set the (unix)
> user knoppix, UID 1000, to be the admin account.  Is the unix account
> valid, or do I need to duplicate it in the coda system?

Coda has its own user database.

> Since knoppix seemingly cannot create files under /coda, I tried using
> pdbtool:
>
> root_at_kryten:~# pdbtool
> pdbtool> nui knoppix 1000
> ID alread used by "knoppix".
> pdbtool> quit

Try list or l to see whats in there

> My attempt to use clog also failed:
>
> 26 $ clog -host kryten.localdomain knoppix
> username: knoppix_at_testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> Password:
> Invalid login (RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED (F)).

Try just
	clog (if you're logged on as knoppix)
or	clog knoppix

or check the list archive for the new 6.0.x
(See, I don't use 6.0.x yet) scheme which
looks like (but not exactly)

	clog knoppix_at_kryten.localdomain

Steffen,
who is going home now.