Coda File System

Re: /coda: File exists

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:47:04 -0400
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 06:31:45AM +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> I've installed coda on a SuSE 8.3:
> coda-6.0.1/
> I can't mount any volume, I'm getting this error:
>
> janus-1:/etc/init.d # cfs mkmount /coda/var janus-var
> /coda: File exists

Coda-6.0 introduced realms, and the root directory dynamically
instantiates subdirectories as realms are accesses and is for all other
uses read-only.

> ==> /usr/coda/etc/console <==
> 06:11:04 Venus starting...
> 06:11:04 /coda now mounted.

Ok, it looks like you have a patched kernel.

> janus-1:/etc/init.d # ls -l /coda
> total 6
> dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     nogroup      2048 Jul 14 05:19 ./
> drwxr-xr-x   27 root     root         4096 Jul 14 04:32 ../

Try to access your realm,

    ls -l /coda/<hostname of your server>
or  ls -l /coda/<ip-address of your server>

And if that succeeds 'ls -l /coda' should show that a directory
(actually a mountpoint) was instantiated for your realm.

Currently it isn't recommended to access your server from multiple
'realm' mounts, as the server doesn't realize they are different
instances of the same client and callbacks are only sent back for
one of the mountpoints.