Coda File System

Re: Heartbeat Failover

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:11:39 -0400
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 03:39:22AM -0400, UpFront Technology wrote:
> Regarding the replication server (non-SCM) would it make sense to use a
> floating IP address (with Heartbeat or similar software) between the SCM and
> non-SCM fro server fail-over.  Or is there a preferred configuration to tell
> Venus to look to another server if the SCM fails??

If you use replicated volumes, the clients will always talk to all
servers in the replicated group. The only exception are file data
fetches, in which case we use the server that has been the fastest in
answering previous requests. If that server dies, the client
automatically fetches the rest of the file from the other available
replica.

Changing ip-addresses will at the moment only help to confuse the
codasrv daemon.