Coda File System

Re: Gnucash lock problem on CODA

From: Anocha Yimsiriwattana <tawtao_at_tawtao.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:39:20 -0400
Hi Jan,

Thanks for quick reply. :-)

On Monday 23 June 2003 02:14 am, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 01:11:51AM -0400, Anocha Yimsiriwattana wrote:
> > I still have a small problem running GnuCash on CODA.  When I try to open
> > a GnuCash database file on CODA filesystem, GnuCash reports that it can
> > not get a lock!  Here is the actual message,
>
> Coda doesn't really have any support for file locks, although some
> locking might work between processes on the same machine. There are
> hundreds of way that applications try to implement locking, varying
> from using flock or fcntl(F_SETLK), to opening a temporary file with
> O_EXCL or by creating a unique filename and then attempting to link it
> to a common name. What your application uses can really only be
> discovered by tracing the system calls it makes (strace or ktrace).
>
> > However, I just ignore it by click on "Open Anyway", and run GnuCash on
> > Coda without any other problems.
> >
> > When I look at the look file closely, I realized that the attributes of
> > the lock file is set to be none, i.e. the ls -l shows that
> >
> > ----------    2 yano     yano            0 Jun 23 00:48 account.LCK
> >
> > Moreover, the filesize is 0 byte!  So I think this might be the problem.
> > Do you guys have any idea to solve the problem?  Please let me know.
> > Thanks.
>
> It is supposed to be empty, are you sure some previous run of GnuCash
> didn't crash?

I am sure that the problem does not cause by a previou run of GnuCash. I have
tested  on linux file system, and then I moved it to Coda file system.
Actually,  the message appears every time when I try to open an account on
Coda.  :-)

Since Coda does not have any support for file locking, the problem is
understandable.  It is not really big problem because I still be able to use
GnuCash on Coda.  Just ignore the message.

>     http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/backup1.html
>
> Jan

Thanks,

Anocha