Coda File System

Coda deployment

From: Dick Kniep <D.J.Kniep_at_chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:55:38 -0400
Hi list,

we want to use Coda to make access to files quicker in 2 locations
connected to each other with an ADSL link over a VPN.

We are using Slackware 9.0 as distribution, and I am trying to install 2
servers and in the future many clients. The 2 servers are on the 2
locations, and the clients connect to one of them depending on where the
client is situated.

I have several questions:

I compile from source, and with coda, I get lots of warnings. Mostly:

"invalid offsetof from non-POD type `struct
use pointer to member instead"

Do these warnings indicate problems? If so, what can I do?

I noticed that the building instructions left the build of lvm and rpc2
out. Only after installation of those, it worked.

The building of the kernelmodule couldn't be completed, because of an
error in the Make Config. My kernel is 2.4.20, and the tools are 2.4.22.
I keep on getting an error that my tools are too old. Obviously this is
not the case. I copied the linux2.2 directory to linux2.4 and tried to
edit the Configure script, to allow a 2.4 kernel and I got a little
further.

However, when I try to do a 'make coda.o', I get undeclared symbols and
the make ends with:
cnode.c: In function `coda_fill_inode':
cnode.c:44: `chrdev_inode_operations' undeclared
cnode c:47: `blkdev_inode_operaions' undeclared
cnode.c: In function `coda_cnode_make';
cnode.c:132: warning: int format, atomic_t arg (arg 3)
make[1]: *** [cnode.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/coda/src/linux-coda-5.2.3/linux2.4'
make: *** [coda.o] Error 2

Hope one of you can help me.

D.Kniep