Coda File System

Re: problems with truncated backups

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:17:23 -0400
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 02:19:11PM -0700, Steve Simitzis wrote:
> On 05/21/03, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> > I did a quick check of all code that uses FILEBYNAME transfers and
> > luckily, the missing lseek only affects backups that are dumped with the
> > backup program.
>
> i'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. is it possible that
> i could do backups a different way, to work around this problem
> in the meantime?

    volutil dump [-i dumplevel] volumeid > dumpfile

Which is what the Amanda backups are using. I just noticed that I was
happily fixing the lseek and large file problems in a tree that was
quite different from the main branch, so I have to start over again.

> hmm. is it possible to backup a partial volume, or should i hang on
> for a large files fix (or otherwise break my volumes up into smaller
> units than 2GB)?

I'd better get the large file stuff working otherwise even if we manage
to dump a volume that is >2GB, it cannot be restored.

It is probably not worth it to try to fix 2GB limits for normal files as
it will probably take more than 10 minutes to fetch or store such a
large file on 100Base-T. And because we block the application in the
open until the file is cached, these files are already quite unusable.