Coda File System

Re: Coda files owner and access bits

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:46:12 +0200 (MET DST)
On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, lou wrote:

> volume is not mounted onto /coda, mine is mounted on /test%server_addr, but
> if i create a sym link from test%server_addr to /coda it works,
> and i wonder, is this value hardcoded or can be fixed with changing something

Hello lou,

Yes, it is hardcoded and in my very humble opinion it is the only right
way to go, namely it is the only way to ensure that coda files are
available on all machines (even not administered by *you* or *me*) via the
same paths.

Mount "via fstab" == "per host" is a certain way to create management
nightmares when a system becomes big.

Fortunately, AFS, DFS and Coda have a lot more convenient mechanism called
mountpoints, not bound to any given host. On the other side, as we must
begin filesearch from "/" that is local to each host, we should use a
fixed name for the junction to the global filetree, otherwise the whole
global filetree ceases to be global, as soon as we'd move its root on one
host...

I suppose that your intention to mount Coda tree at a non-standard
location is not really crucial for any practical task.

Best regards,
--
Ivan