Coda File System

Re: Re: libdb

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:27:46 +0900

    Jan> None. Although http://cr.yp.to/cdb/cdb.txt is Copyright 1996
    Jan> D. J.  Bernstein, I'm pretty sure that that copyright does
    Jan> not apply to an implementation based on reading the
    Jan> description.

As long as you didn't copy any code, you're fine.  Copyright does not
apply to implementation (that's what patent is for).

    Jan> And it isn't really the distribution that refuses to support
    Jan> it.

Exactly.  It's that without upstream support from Sleepycat (or
anybody; it's free software so anybody---including Red Hat or
Debian---could adopt it), you just can't rely on the implementation
that systems running Coda might have available.

    The default hash function in this version of db is the
    Fowler/Vo/Noll hash which gives better distributions (less
    collisions) on average than the publicly released version.

Ooh, that's really bad.  No cross-platform compatibility.