Coda File System

EINTERNAL crash, libdb 1.85

From: Daniele Palumbo <rocco_at_rimini.no-ip.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 19:08:56 +0200
At 10.32 02/04/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:43:26PM +0200, Daniele Palumbo wrote:
> > >
> > >Well it became virtually impossible to maintain code based on libdb
> > >1.85. Redhat 8.0 and Debian-unstable only provide a precompiled version
> > >for backward compatibility reasons,-cut-
> >
> > also note that cygwin does not have libdb1.85.
> > so you can't compile also on all the possible client of the system
> > (remember, alpha-7 means instable ;).
>
>Oh, btw. I tried the latest cygwin (1.3.22) and sure thing hit the
>RVM_EINTERNAL problem.
>
>It turns out that cygwin changed mmap or shared libraries or something,
>but the address that we are trying to map our RVM data to is already in
>use. The fix is pretty simple, but needs a modification to the source.
>
>This is the patch that went into the current CVS tree, which still
>crashes in random places, probably a bad pointer somewhere. But it
>really just boils down to replacing 0x20000000 with 0x50000000 in the
>#if defined(__CYGWIN32__) section.
>
>http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/coda/coda-src/venus/venusrecov.cc.diff?r1=4.56&r2=4.57

venusreconv.cc:
105c105
< static const char *VM_RVMADDR = (char *)0x50000000;
---
 > static const char *VM_RVMADDR = (char *)0x20000000;

you can't change ALL the code from the newer version cause mismatch other
file in .h
big big news!
now EINTERNAL bug is fixed!

so, this week i have no time to test it out, i only saw that venus start.
two bugs for now:
i have cygwin installed on E:, the service venus try to start it from c.
venus won't start as service (with path fixed obviously)
one thing to change to the readme of installer of codacli-a8 (i hope the
next relase, that will come soon :)
the path of regedit (at least xp) to services is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
and not HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service\

we must provide coda also for people that have /dev/brain linked to
/dev/null no?

Daniele